Thursday, January 15, 2015

TBT With Tekken 2

On My Love & Obsession With Tekken 2
emu.kulicki.net
One of my fondest memories of the PS1 era was my love and obsession with Tekken 2. I mean who wouldn’t love it, especially when the game has the most awesome intro in fighting game history. Yeah, I said it! I mean seriously, tell me this intro gets you hyped to play it. Tekken 2 was one of the few games I had on the old the Playstation and was one game (next to Street Fighter Alpha) I played non-stop. Now I did play the original Tekken, which was fun and considered to be a surprise hit for Namco, but it didn’t even compare to how much fun I had playing Tekken 2.
fightersgeneration.com
The story of Tekken 2 revolves around the father and son relationship between Heihachi and Kazuya Mishima that started in the first game with Kazuya throwing his father off a cliff (spoiler) and taking over leadership of the powerful Mishima Zaibatsu. As the leader, Kazuya has made enemies of many people across the world due to his illegal dealings such as kidnappings, extortion, blackmail, etc. One of his most hated enemies (besides Heihachi) is the animal rights fundamentalist, Jun Kazama. Jun was supposed to arrest Kazuya but wound up being attracted to him or should I say the devil powers inside Kazuya and she winds up being pregnant with his child Jin.
To conclude this story, Kazuya finds out Heihachi survived being thrown off a cliff (and survives near death many times after that) and is out for revenge. An epic fight takes place between the two with Heihachi coming out on top and this time throwing his son into a volcano setting up the events in Tekken 3 but that’s another throwback/retro article for another day.
ps1isos.net
What made me obsessed with this game when it came out in 1996 besides the gameplay (which was a lot smoother than the first game), the overall intro and presentation, but the characters that were featured in Tekken 2. Every character had a deep list of moves and combos that made the game stand out as being more of a realistic fighting game compared to its competitors. My favorite character in the game at the time was King. As a King player, it gave me more of an incentive to learn his moves especially his chain throw combos.
techmynd.com
Tekken 2 was the first game where I really had to learn about certain characters, memorize their move-sets, and positioning my character in a game and not getting your ass kicked after a few moves. This game made me a fan of this amazing series and with Tekken 7 on the horizon; I look forward to continuing enjoying the Tekken experience.
#keepitnerdy
Written By: Justin Cooper (@ItsMrCooper82)

References:



No comments:

Post a Comment